Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hungry for A Good Book?

Dystopian Literature. When I heard that I was going to be reading a book classified under dystopian literature I was completely thrown off. Dystopian literature is where the vision of society is miserable and conditions are poor. Usually it takes place in the future and includes some kind of technology. I thought, this is something so totally unlike what I would pick up at a bookstore. I usually head for romance titles or just books about normal life situations. So this new genre that I had not heard a lot about completely threw me for a loop. But I guess this was a loop in the right direction.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a novel of dystopian literature about a teenage girl who is thrown into the Hunger Games to save her young sister's life and honor her family. The Hunger Games is an event led by the government where two participants from each district competes against each other. The last one living is the winner. The Hunger Games includes elements of suspense, humor, and romance to keep the reader engaged.

One element that I really liked about The Hunger Games is the satire on governmental policies. It shows how sometimes governments manipulate their power and the effects it has on the citizens who live there. I know as a teen sometimes you can feel powerless compared to mightiness of the government. This would be a good book to check out if you feel that way. It shows how sometimes you can outsmart them.

I really enjoyed reading The Hunger Games. Even though the writing is pretty basic and not so "beautiful" the story is exciting and riveting. You can really get into how the main characters are feeling. If you have a free chance check out Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment